Prescription hair loss treatments that target early-stage hair loss, such as Finasteride (generic Propecia) and Minoxidil (generic Rogaine), have been around for a long time. In the past, however, getting prescriptions required scheduling an appointment with your doctor, having an in-person evaluation, and then going to your local pharmacy to fill your prescription.
These days things are a lot easier thanks to the Internet. Men now have the option of getting prescriptions directly through telemedicine providers such as Keeps®, Hims®, Roman®, and BosleyRx®. With these services, you can consult with a licensed doctor online or over the phone and then have your prescription sent directly to your door on a monthly basis.
But with so many different online options available, how do you choose the one that’s right for you? Let’s take a look.
What Kind of Prescription and Hair Loss Medication Can I Get Online?
The only two FDA-approved medications to combat hair loss are Finasteride and Minoxidil, and you can get both online. While Minoxidil can be bought over-the-counter, the most common prescription you can get online for hair loss is finasteride and finasteride-based compound products that may include minoxidil and/or other ingredients.
Finasteride (the generic form of Propecia®) is an anti-androgen agent that can help with male pattern hair loss. It can help block the action of an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase, which transforms testosterone into another hormone, DHT, which can cause hair loss in men.
Finasteride comes in pill form or as a topical, and for most people, one tablet/application per day is an effective dose. Although the medication starts blocking DHT immediately, it can take a few months to see a significant reduction in hair loss. Many men start seeing improvements in about three to four months.
Minoxidil is available as a standalone product in multiple application forms that you can apply directly to your scalp or take orally. Topical examples include specially-formulated shampoos, foams, and other forms that you can apply directly to your scalp. Minoxidil belongs to a class of drugs called vasodilators, which can expand blood vessels and increase circulation to the treatment area. When you have more blood flow in the area, you increase oxygen and nutrients, encouraging new and healthy hair growth.
Minoxidil can also help combat DHT, making it a great choice for men with male pattern hair loss. The body starts absorbing minoxidil immediately, and the medication begins to increase circulation at once. This does not mean, however, that results are immediate. It starts working in approximately 4-8 weeks and people typically start noticing results in about 4 months. On average, users can expect an average of 12 weeks with a topical foam, 16 weeks with other formats.
BosleyRx offers both of these medications online, as well as combination treatments and topical hair loss products that help prevent further hair loss and promote hair follicle stimulation for new growth.
Which Online Hair Loss Treatment Plan is Right for Me?
There are lots of online prescription options available, so how do Keeps vs. Hims compare to BosleyRx and Roman? Keeps, a subscription service for hair loss medications, also offers medications that contain finasteride and minoxidil. Keeps hair loss service has products similar to over-the-counter products like minoxidil, but they do require a prescription. The same thing applies to Hims and Roman, two other services that allow you to get prescription hair loss products online. Bosley offers everything you need in one place, with quick and easy online visits.
But each of us is unique, and so is our journey to healthier, fuller hair. So how do you choose the right provider for you? Let’s look at each in more detail below.
BosleyRx® is the latest entrant into the subscription hair loss medication field. Brought to you by one of the leaders in the hair restoration industry, with more than 45 years of experience, BosleyRx® offers proven, FDA-approved treatment options such as finasteride and minoxidil using a convenient subscription model. We also provide a consultation with a healthcare professional at no cost to the patient. In addition, Bosley also pairs those medications with BosleyMD® products specifically formulated to promote healthy scalp and hair, such as DHT-blocking shampoo and scalp-stimulating follicle energizer.
Depending on the state you live in, BosleyRx® just requires you to complete a short online questionnaire which is then reviewed by a physician. If your prescription is approved, your medication will be shipped out the next day.
How to Get Started with BosleyRxⓇ
Getting the hair loss medications you need is simple with BosleyRxⓇ. You simply need to register on our website and complete a short questionnaire including questions about your medical history and other medications you take.
A health care professional will review this information and once you add your shipping and payment information, you can schedule an online visit. One of the best things about BosleyRxⓇ is that you can conduct your visit as a video or audio consultation, making hair loss treatments more accessible than ever.
If you need to schedule an audio consultation, you can choose from the list of healthcare professionals, and you will receive a link to join the meeting.
Once you log in on the scheduled date and time, a healthcare professional will join you for an open and honest discussion about your hair restoration needs and goals. They will review your medication needs and address any concerns or questions you have before writing the prescription.
The process is similar for a video consultation. First, you will choose from a list of healthcare professionals. Our site provides high-quality, secure video conferences where you can speak with a professional and receive the prescriptions you need. For this consultation, you can use your PC, tablet, Android, Apple, or other mobile device.
In some states, all you need to do is have a digital consultation. These do not require video or audio. The healthcare professional will ask a few questions about your medical history and then review your file within 24 hours.
- BosleyRxⓇ offers FDA approved hair loss medications as well as specially formulated and proven compounded hair loss medications – so that you can always have confidence in the medications you take.
- BosleyRxⓇ offers the chance to get the exact prescriptions you need in a quick and efficient manner. They also arrive at your door in a discreet package that allows you to maintain your privacy.
- Consultations are free, and you can participate from the comfort of your home. You can also schedule a free in-person consultation if you prefer face-to-face communication.
- Medications come in a variety of formats, including pills, sprays, drops, and more.
- If you have significant hair loss, oral and topical medications may not be enough to make a difference. In those cases, you can turn to Bosley Physicians for permanent hair loss restoration options like FUE or FUT hair transplants.
Founded in 2018 by college friends Steve Gutentag and Demetri Karagas, Keeps was one of the first companies to offer generic hair loss prescriptions online. Just like Bosley, Keeps offers prescription finasteride and minoxidil, sold separately or as a package. For the minoxidil, you can choose to get it as a solution or a foam for an additional fee. When it comes to plans, Keeps offers different options based on your specific needs.
But does Keeps work? Keeps offers generic versions of hair loss treatment options, leaving many people wondering whether brand names or generic options are the better choice.
When considering Keeps vs. Rogaine (a brand name of Minoxidil) for example, it is important to understand that Keeps medications require an online visit with a member of their team, while Rogaine does not and can be purchased in stores. Keeps also offers more options than just Minoxidil while also charging lower rates on overlapping products.
Keeps makes it easy for you to choose the subscription plan you want. If you know the medications you need already, you can select them. You will then take a short online quiz so a healthcare professional can ensure that you’re getting the best treatment options.
If you’re not sure about the product you want, you can fill out a questionnaire with information on your lifestyle, hair loss, and medical history. You will also need to provide photos of your hair loss. In addition, you will have to show a copy of a government-issued ID, like a driver’s license. A healthcare professional will review your file and call you, depending on the state where you live.
Because Keeps is a subscription service, they will automatically send products to you every three months or as subscribed. You always have the chance to speak with a healthcare professional over the phone through the Keeps site. So does Keeps actually work for your hair growth goals? Let’s look at the pros and cons of this service.
- The subscription service model makes it easier to stay on track with your treatment, which is essential when dealing with hair loss.
- The initial consultation with Keeps is free, even if you do not have insurance.
- If you live in a state where telemedicine is not an option, Keeps will add extra steps if you need prescription medications.
- The Keeps model might not catch underlying health conditions that could be causing hair loss, especially in states where video or phone calls are not required.
- You do not get the chance to choose your healthcare professional, nor can you speak to a healthcare professional in person.
- You cannot cancel an order if Keeps has already processed it.
Founded in 2017 by Andrew Dudum, Hims is a telemedicine company that bills itself as a “one-stop service for men’s wellness and care.” While hair loss medication is one of their top product lines, they also offer treatments for erectile dysfunction, anxiety and depression, and even skincare products. In addition to prescription finasteride and minoxidil, Hims has packages that include products such as hair-thickening shampoo and Biotin gummies as well.
Once you sign up for an account at Hims, you will have to answer a series of questions about your medical history while also providing identification. After you register, a licensed healthcare professional will conduct an assessment. They can do this via video, chat, or a phone call.
If you’re a good candidate for the medications offered by Hims, you’re likely to receive a prescription. You can have your medication delivered to your home, or you can go through a third-party pharmacy. So, is Hims right for your hair restoration needs?
- Like other telemedicine services, Hims is convenient. You don’t have to worry about traveling to get the medications you need and you can receive the care you need from the privacy of your home.
- Hims is also efficient. You can get a response to your assessment within 24 hours, which might not be the case if you pursue in-person treatment.
- You don’t have the option to schedule in-person interactions with a healthcare professional. If you have underlying medical conditions that may be causing your hair loss, a cursory video chat might not be enough.
- You will not have access to long-term clinical support.
- You may end up paying more for Hims than for other similar services.
Keeps vs. Hims
Because the two companies offer similar services, it can be tough to know which is better: Hims or Keeps. When considering Hims vs. Keeps hair loss treatments, there are some things to keep in mind:
- Hims is slightly more affordable than Keeps, but it does not just focus on hair loss. Keeps, on the other hand, offers products solely for hair loss, though you might end up paying more for them.
- When deciding betweenHims or Keeps, you also want to consider that Hims allows you to have a video conference with the healthcare professional, while Keeps only provides audio meetings.
- Availability is another concern when choosing between Keeps vs. Hims. Keeps offers medications in all U.S. states, but not all states require medical consultations. Hims, on the other hand, offers consultations and medications in all 50 states.
- One major issue when considering Hims vs. Keeps is customer service. Hims customer service is said to be unreliable, making it more difficult to get help. Keeps, however, offers easy contact and quick response times.
When deciding on Keeps vs. Hims, you should consider all of these factors to ensure that you make the right choice for your hair restoration needs.
Similar to Hims, Roman is a company that has branched out from just hair loss products to include treatments for a variety of men’s healthcare needs. While their main products include treatments for hair loss, erectile dysfunction, testosterone support, and premature ejaculation, they carry a wide range of products in categories such as sexual health, hair and skincare, and general men’s health supplements. When it comes to hair loss options, Roman offers several different packages.
To receive medications that require prescriptions, Roman asks that you fill out a questionnaire that includes your medical history, hair loss history, and the goals you have. You will schedule an online visit with a healthcare professional.
- As with other telemedicine services, you can receive the medications you need without having to visit a doctor. Roman also offers free two-day shipping.
- You also have access to free and unlimited follow-ups with a healthcare professional.
- Because the service is subscription-based, you have to manually turn off payment if you want to discontinue the service.
- It can be difficult to cancel subscriptions and refunds are unlikely after orders have been processed.
- It is slightly more expensive than other comparable services.
- Reviews state that customer service is an issue.
What Makes BosleyRx® Different
As you can tell, when it comes to the hair loss products these online companies offer, you’ve got a lot of options. So why should you choose BosleyRx® when they all treat the same condition?
The answer is simple. Unlike other brands, Bosley helps men through every stage of their hair loss, not just the early stages. While prescription medications like finasteride and minoxidil are great at helping you keep the hair you have and grow hair that hasn’t fully died yet, they can’t put hair where you’ve lost it completely. Eventually, you may decide that you want more than just prevention, you want restoration. In that case, you can start a relationship with a Bosley specialist who can help you learn more about their other hair treatment options.
While the emergence of online hair loss prescription brands has been a great thing for men looking to address their early-stage hair loss, not all providers are created equal. You don’t have to worry about choosing between Keeps vs. Hims or whether Roman can offer the customer service you need when you have Bosley on your side. At the end of the day, you want a hair loss expert that will be with you throughout your hair loss journey, and that has ALL of the options you might need. No one knows hair loss and hair restoration better than Bosley. If you’re ready to start addressing your hair loss proactively, check out BosleyRx® to learn more. Act now, and find out how to get the first month FREE!