What is Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)?
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a unique technique where hair is transplanted and follicular units are removed directly from the donor area. The grafts are then transplanted into areas where the patient desires more hair to create a natural looking hair line and add thickness to areas of thinning hair.
Follicular Unit Extraction is different from the traditional hair replacement procedures in one very important way: follicular units are extracted directly from the scalp in FUE, instead of follicles microscopically being dissected from a strip that has already been removed in traditional hair replacement.
During the Follicular Unit Extraction hair transplant, patient follicular unit grafts are taken one at a time using a tiny one millimeter in diameter (or less) instrument. After making a small circular incision in the skin around the follicular unit, the graft is then extracted directly from the scalp.
The best candidates for FUE hair transplant procedure include:
- Patients interested in a smaller size procedure (typically up to 1,000 grafts).
- Patients with a limited donor supply.
- Patients with limited scalp elasticity.
- Patient who have had several FUT procedures and subsequently have a limited donor supply or limited scalp elasticity.
- Patients who have a need or desire to wear their hair exceptionally short.
- Patients who don’t mind closely clipping the donor area hair at the time of the procedure.
If you would like to learn more about FUE and Bosley’s other hair restoration options, go to www.Bosley.com.
What to do next?
To learn more about your hair restoration options, download Bosley’s FREE info-kit, The Complete Book on Hair Restoration, to see how great your hair can look. If you’re ready to do something about that bald spot or thinning hair now, schedule a FREE in-person or video consultation with a trained Bosley hair restoration specialist. Together with a Bosley Physician, we can help you find out what’s causing your balding and what treatment solution is right for you.