Schedule your FREE consultation
By submitting this form, I authorize Bosley to contact me by phone or text utilizing automated dialing equipment, as well as by email or mail with information about appointments, products, services, news or promotions. I also agree to Bosley's Terms of ServiceSubmit
What is Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)?
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a unique technique where hair is transplanted and follicular units are removed directly from the donor area. The grafts are then transplanted into areas where the patient desires more hair to create a natural looking hair line and add thickness to areas of thinning hair.
Follicular Unit Extraction is different from the traditional hair replacement procedures in one very important way: follicular units are extracted directly from the scalp in FUE, instead of follicles microscopically being dissected from a strip that has already been removed in traditional hair replacement.
During the Follicular Unit Extraction hair transplant, patient follicular unit grafts are taken one at a time using a tiny one millimeter in diameter (or less) instrument. After making a small circular incision in the skin around the follicular unit, the graft is then extracted directly from the scalp.
The best candidates for FUE hair transplant procedure include:
- Patients interested in a smaller size procedure (typically up to 1,000 grafts).
- Patients with a limited donor supply.
- Patients with limited scalp elasticity.
- Patient who have had several FUT procedures and subsequently have a limited donor supply or limited scalp elasticity.
- Patients who have a need or desire to wear their hair exceptionally short.
- Patients who don’t mind closely clipping the donor area hair at the time of the procedure.